The Daily Dot is the web’s most comprehensive source for original internet news and among the fastest growing media companies in the world. We tell the story of the internet each day with uninhibited reporting on the people, apps, memes, and movements that are shaping the internet generation.
The Daily Dot seeks candidates who are passionate about unearthing government secrets (both federal and local) to apply for our Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) internship. This unique position will focus entirely on mastering the art of FOIA, from filing requests, making appeals, and generating scoops from government documents. Ideal candidates will have some prior experience filing transparency requests, a keen eye for FOIA opportunities and stories that may be lurking in the background, as well as strong reporting and writing skills.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with Daily Dot reporters and editors to generate FOIA and state-level transparency request ideas
- File multiple FOIA requests each week
- Maintain a database of ongoing FOIA requests
- Develop relationships with agency FOIA officers to ensure timely records receipts
- Report out stories based on received documents
- Help reporters file FOIA requests based on stories they are working on
- Adhere to journalistic standards for fact-checking, accuracy, and fairness
Interested? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- At least one semester of professional-level newsroom experience
- You meet deadlines
- You have experience making contacts and securing interviews
- You are skilled in multitasking and prioritizing in a rapidly changing environment
- You are comfortable in a small, intense, and fast environment
- You understand and know the Daily Dot brand, internet culture, online communities, and current internet trends
- Experience working as part of a virtual team is a plus
**Please link at least two published writing samples in your cover letter.**
Please note, the Daily Dot is aware that some of these projects will have lead times longer than the current length of the internship. For requests that you personally file that are not part of other reporting projects, you will have ownership over them after you leave. The Daily Dot pledges to work with you to have the stories run after the internship ends for additional compensation, or will help you place these stories in other media outlets if you so choose.
This is a paid, 10-hour-per-week commitment for the duration of the Summer.
Note that this internship is currently fully remote. We work as a mainly remote newsroom but have been full-time remote since March 2020.
This is a paid ($15 an hour), approximately 10 hour per week commitment for the duration of the summer. Applications for Summer 2021 due by May 7, 2021. This internship may also be used toward college credit, depending on your program (we're happy to help work with you to apply this credit to your program).
The Daily Dot recognizes the value of the broad and rich variety of experiences, ideas, and skills our team members bring to the business. Beyond compliance with government regulations, we foster diversity by encouraging an environment that taps the full potential of each employee consistent with the Daily Dot’s high standards of performance. We believe that there is an ongoing benefit to our families, employees, and community when the Daily Dot supports a diverse workforce.
We are committed to equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity/transgender status, or veteran status.